|5 Things in 8.56|
I have a native install of the HCM 022 Image running on Microsoft Windows and so the first thing I had to do was upgrade this to 8.56 before I could start to play. Using the PeopleTools 8.56 DPK method this was quite a straight forward 3 step process -
- Uninstall old versions of Tuxedo and WebLogic,
- install 8.56 PeopleTools files with mid-tier deployment
- use CA to upgrade target database
So here's my initial 5 things on 8.56...
1) The hamburger menu has been replaced by "verical elipses" - or a diet and vegetarian friendly "pea" menu. I think I like it.
|The new "pea" menu|
2) I'm going to have to re-write my blog on Fluid search pages as SetSearchDialogBehavior no longer works with with Fluid. This is probably a good thing. If it doesn't work in Fluid now then it must have "worked" (done something) in previous versions, whatever it did may not have been useful and presumably the fact that it does nothing now in 8.56 means that's good.... I'll let you know once I work out what and why.
3) Classic Plus. This is a new stylesheet that can be applied to Classic pages to make them look more like Fluid pages. This is limited to look only and Class Plus styles pages will not be responsive to the device like Fluid is. Nevertheless, this is still a very useful feature especially when users are switching between Fluid and Classic pages.
It's enabled globally in Branding System options and then takes effect for all components which are set to use Classic Plus. This setting is at component level and requires a change in Appplication Designer for each component that you want to have rendered in the new stylesheet. For simple pages this setting may not need any other work but for complex pages it's likely some page layout adjustment may be needed. Clasic Plus has already been enabled for things like Process Monitor and Report manager. Disappointed that this requires a customisation to the component to enable albeit a simple one.
I enabled it for Project Session Administration component (PSPTCOMPAREADMIN) and everything seemed to work and look just fine. See the next 3 screenshots.
|Classic Page Before|
|Set Component to use "Fluid like theme" (aka Classic Plus)|
|Same page now with Classic Plus style|
I'm expecting that upcoming application update images will start to contain application pages that have been adjusted to work with Classic Plus.
4) Event Mapping is now available on Page Activate and FieldChange event level. Excited about this as it has huge potential for all us Selective Adopters out there. I'll be putting this one through it's paces over the next few weeks and will report back what I find. Event Mapping is another awesome innovation from the PeopleTools team that can help to reduce customisations.
5) Multiple instances of Change Assistant can now be installed and run on the same workstation. And.... they can be on different tools versions (as long as the minimum tools version is 8.56). I know... there's always a gotcha.
So much more is packed into this PeopleTools release including ElasticSearch, Unified Navigation without Interaction Hub, Tile Wizard improvements, new Fluid templates, new PTF features, new PUM analytics, and more. I'll be writing about my favourites over the coming months. Make sure you book a place on the free Cedar Consulting PeopleTools 8.56 New Features Masterclass scheduled for later this year. Contact us here,